The Big Picture: Foundations and Research in Reading and Writing Instruction Across the Content Areas
This section provides a connection among the Workforce Investment Opportunities Act (WIOA), The College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education: English Language Arts (ELA), and the GED Test. It also provides the latest research in adult education reading and writing instruction.
- Connecting College and Career Readiness to the Standards, GED®, Higher Education, Training, the Workplace and Everyday Life Success provides an overview and connections among the Workforce Investment and Opportunities Action (WIOA), the Common Core State Standards (CCRS) for Adult Education and the GED® Test.
- The CCR Road Map, prepared by Essential Education as an introduction to their curriculum, makes a connection between the standards and skills students need related the GED®, higher education, and job readiness integrating reading, writing, speaking and listening, and language as well as social studies, science, and math.
- Improving Adult Literacy: Developing Reading and Writing -- This booklet, which is based on the report (Improving Adult Literacy Instruction: Options for Practice and Research report from May of 2012), presents an overview of what is known about how literacy develops, the component skills of reading and writing, and the practices that are effective for developing them. It also describes principles of reading and writing instruction that can guide those who design and administer programs or courses to improve adult literacy skills. Although this is not intended as a "how to" manual for instructors, teachers may also find the information in this booklet helpful as they consider how to plan instruction. See a full report on adult literacy instruction here: Improving Adult Literacy Instruction: Options for Practice and Research report from May of 2012.
- Teaching Adults to Read -- The information in this booklet summarizes the emerging principles and trends in adult reading instruction identified in a report of the Reading Research Working Group: Research-Based Principles for Adult Basic Education Reading Instruction. Teaching Adult to Read (Kruidienier, 2005).
- Applying Research in Reading for Adults: First Steps for Teachers -- This resource provides strategies based on the research identified in Teaching Adults to Read.