This section provides tools to assess student needs and guidance on implementing specific instructional strategies across all NRS levels.
“The Close Reading Guide” and Accompanying Documents
The Close Reading Guide (1,456K PDF) describes the process for implementing close reading in the adult education class room. The documents referenced in the article are below.
- Close Reading in Three Reads (24K PDF)
- Three Close Reads Annotation Chart (29K PDF)
- Annotation Ideas (188K PDF)
- Text Dependent Question Stem Samples (106K PDF)
- Text Structure Questions and Graphic Organizers (95K PDF)
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Reading Bookmark
More Close Reading Tools
The Elements of Close Reading (199K PDF) provides a checklist for implementing a close reading activity.
GED® Professional Development Series for KYAE Skills U Instructors: Focus on Close Reading Workbook (1,481K PDF) provides resources and tools that were provided by Bonnie Goonan and Susan Pittman for an RLA PD series on close reading.
A Closer Look at Close Reading (842K PDF) provides a guide on how to scaffold students through complex text.
A Growth Mindset Close Reading Activity (419K PDF)
RLA Writing Resources
Writing for the GED® Tools
- Writing for Success on the GED® Test: Information, Resources, Strategies
- Sample Extended Response for Passages and Prompts for Classroom Practice
- Writing Practice Materials
Teaching Excellence in Adult Literacy (TEAL, funded by OCTAE) Just Write Guide provides research-based instructional practices in the content area of writing. It also incorporates professional wisdom gleaned from participants in the six TEAL online courses on effective instruction.