This section provides resources for struggling readers and students at NRS levels
Making Sense of Decoding and Spelling: An Adult Reading Course of Study
The following documents contain a curriculum for instructing adult students at the lowest levels of literacy.
- Teachers’ and Administrators Guide (381K PDF)
- Lesson Plans (9,393K PDF)
- Learners’ Activity Book (3,175K PDF)
- GCF LearnFree.org -- This site contains free tutorials for adult education students on math, reading, and workforce prep.
- Reading Skills for Today’s Adults -- This site has reading passages and activities for adult learners beginning at NRS Level 1. Adult students can respond to pre-reading questions, participate in a timed or independent reading and then respond to a writing prompt.
- Newsela -- Multiple information short text that can be tailored down to Level 2. Comes with activities and writing prompts.
- The British Council -- Interactive vocabulary games as well as grammar resources.
- Free Rice -- Help others while helping your student: Each correct definition you select generates 10 grains of free rice donated to the UN World Food Program! You can also play this online game with grammar questions, math and other subjects.
- Skills Workshop for Adult Learners -- Various activities and worksheets.